SHINE is committed to protecting the rights and privacy of its beneficiaries, donors, supporters and others in accordance with The Data Protection Act 1998.
This Privacy Notice sets out how we collect, use and store the personal information of beneficiaries, donors, and supporters and their rights in relation to the use of their data.
The data we hold
In order to fulfil our objectives as an organisation, we are required to hold Personal Data, some of which may be of a sensitive nature. When we hold and use data, we are regulated under the General Data Protection Regulation which applies across the European Union (including in the United Kingdom) and we are responsible as a ‘controller’ of that personal information in adherence to those laws.
a) Marketing activities
SHINE always provides beneficiaries, donors, supporters and others with the choice to opt in to marketing from SHINE (such as our email updates, invites to events, fundraising appeals and receiving our Annual Impact Report), except in the case of communication by post. We provide all individuals with the right to opt out of any marketing activities at any time. If you wish to opt out of marketing from SHINE, please contact us by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0113 280 5872.
b) Data gathered via the website
We do not collect any personally identifiable information from the visitors to our website, apart from information that individuals give to us when filling in an online form such as signing up for regular updates from SHINE, funding application forms or our online donation page.
We may also collect information about the usage of the website (for example, the URL that visitors come from, IP address, domain types like .co.uk and .com, the browser type and the pages of our website that were viewed during a visit).
We may use this information for the purposes of:
- Providing visitors to our website with access and personalising visits;
- Dealing with enquiries and requests for information or services;
- Maintaining information as a reference tool or general resource.
“Cookies” are small text files created and stored on an individual’s hard drive by any internet browser software, in order to hold relevant information about the web page an individual may be viewing. They help us to improve the website and to deliver a better and more personalised service.
Most browsers have a facility that will allow individuals to disable cookies altogether; please refer to your browser’s help menu to find out how to do this. Whilst you will still be able to browse most of our website with cookies disabled, certain features may not be available.
The transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect Personal Data, we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to the website; any transmission is at an individual’s own risk.
Please note that this website contains links to third party websites and we are not responsible for the data protection or privacy policies of those third parties.
Who we share Personal Data with
We will not share Personal Data with any other third parties. We will share Personal Data with law enforcement or other authorities if required by applicable law.
How long Personal Data will be kept
We will hold Personal Data on our mailing lists until an individual decides to unsubscribe from marketing from SHINE. We will delete details permanently from our records if an individual unsubscribes.
The General Data Protection Regulation gives you rights in relation to the data we store and use. These are:
- The right to be informed. This means that we must tell you how we use your data, and this is the purpose of this Privacy Notice
- The right of access. You have the right to access the data that we hold on you. To do so, you should make a subject access request
- The right for any inaccuracies to be corrected. If any data that we hold about you is incomplete or inaccurate, you are able to require us to correct it
- The right to have information deleted. If you would like us to stop processing your data, you have the right to ask us to delete it from our systems where you believe there is no reason for us to continue processing it
- The right to restrict the processing of the data. For example, if you believe the data we hold is incorrect, we will stop processing the data (whilst still holding it) until we have ensured that the data is correct
- The right to portability. You may transfer the data that we hold on you for your own purposes
- The right to object to the inclusion of any information. You have the right to object to the way we use your data where we are using it for our legitimate interests
- The right to regulate any automated decision-making and profiling of personal data. You have a right not to be subject to automated decision making in way that adversely affects your legal rights.
These are not absolute rights and only apply in specific scenarios depending on the context and the reason we are processing Personal Data.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights explained above, please contact us by email on email@example.com or call 0113 280 5872.
Making a complaint
The supervisory authority in the UK for data protection matters is the Information Commissioner’ Office (ICO). If you think your data protection rights have been breached in any way by SHINE, you are able to make a complaint to the ICO.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice was last updated in August 2018. We may change this Privacy Notice from time to time. You should check this notice occasionally to ensure you are aware of the most recent version.
How to contact us
If you have questions about this Privacy Notice or require further information please contact us by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0113 280 5872. You can also view SHINE’s full Data Protection Policy here.