The grant recipient
The Merchant Taylors' Girls’ School is an independent secondary school situated in Crosby, just north of Liverpool. Whilst achieving academic success and being regarded as one of the top academic schools in the North West, it has a long and prestigious history of charitable work.
- 25 year 6 girls from the local area, particularly from nearby Bootle.
- 15 Saturday morning sessions.
- The theme of the programme is ‘Dead on Time – unlocking murder mysteries’ and will involve researching cases, examining forensic evidence, writing newspaper reports and staging a court room drama.
- Sessions will include meeting real life professionals, such as a barrister and a policeman, to give credence and depth to the girls’ experience.
- Focussing on literacy and science, as well as broader areas such as public speaking and information analysis.
- The aim is to inspire and improve the students’ key skills in a way they wouldn’t experience in a typical classroom environment.
£37,860 over three years (2011-13) ). This will cover the teaching, supervision, equipment and specialist staff. Appearances by local professionals are on a pro bono basis. Merchant Taylors' are also providing in-kind and financial support for the programme.
Visit the website for Merchant Taylors' Girls’ School