SERIOUS FUN ON SATURDAYS @ WINCHESTER COLLEGE
The grant recipient
Originally founded in the 14th Century, Winchester College is a boarding school for 700 boys. Its most recent Independent Schools Inspectorate report praised its outstanding curriculum, exceptional student achievement and strong teaching. It has a particularly good reputation for teaching beyond the syllabus, with specific lessons ('Divs') that encourage students to discuss and debate areas such as ethics, philosophy and politics.
- 10 Saturday sessions combining practical learning into core subjects with a 'Div' (see above) that focuses on areas outside the curriculum
- sample lessons include: science sessions on the Elements of Murder, the Physics of Ice Cream and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life; Composition; Art and Architecture; Sword Play and Aikido; and The Great Debate
- for 24 11-12 year old students from Midhurst Rother College in West Sussex
- sessions taught by staff from Winchester and Midhurst Rother, assisted by Winchester students acting as peer mentors
- aims to improve students' academic performance and attainment, as well as their educational ambition.
SHINE has made a grant for development and running costs. Winchester and Midhurst Rother Colleges are both providing in-kind support for the programme.
Funding: £16,800 to Winchester College and Midhurst Rother College, over three years (2010-13)
Visit Winchester's website: http://www.winchestercollege.org/
Visit Midhurst Rother College’s website: http://www.mrc-academy.org/