SHINE ON SATURDAY @ ST STEPHEN'S
The grant recipient
St Stephen's Primary School is one of a cluster of six Lambeth primary schools that have joined forces for this project. The cluster serves a community that is in the top 25% nationally for multiple deprivation; around two-thirds of children speak English as an Additional Language.
Some of the schools in the cluster already work together and many currently run out-of-hours activities.
SHINE @ St Stephen's is for 60 students in years 4, 5 and 6 (8-11 years old). Priority is given to children eligible for Free School Meals, who speak English as an Additional Language and/or whose parents receive the Working Families Tax Credit.
The project aims to:
- ensure all participating students achieve a level 4 (national standard) in their SATs
- provide high quality opportunities for students to enjoy and achieve out of school hours
- develop self esteem, confidence, teamwork, leadership and communication skills
- prepare children for their transition to secondary school
- strengthen bonds between participating schools.
SHINE has made a grant for set up and running costs and is delighted to be co-funding this project with the Walcot Foundation http://www.walcotfoundation.org.uk/.
Funding: £90,000 to St Stephen’s Primary School, over three years (2010-13)
Visit the website for St Stephen's Primary School