Serious Fun on Saturdays @ Eltham College
Eltham College is an independent school on the edge of south east London. Several areas of the school's work, including their science teaching, have been judged to be 'outstanding' by the Independent Schools Inspectorate. Eltham College works in partnership with Darrick Wood and Thomas Tallis schools and a group of other secondary schools on the Bromley, Croydon and Lewisham borders to run projects for students from the independent and state sectors.
- two schemes each providing 9 Saturday morning science workshops during the autumn and spring terms
- a focus on science enrichment, including problem-solving and science literacy
- for 80 year 6 students from local state primaries
- taught by specialists from the independent and state sectors
- encourages participation in science, stimulates enquiring minds and makes science exciting and meaningful
- a third more students taking part than planned
- average attendance was 92%
- by the end of the year all but one student was at or above the standard expected in science
SHINE has made grants for set up and project expansion costs. The local state and independent schools' partnership has also made financial and in-kind contributions to the project.
Funding: £105.797 to Darrick Wood Secondary School (on behalf of Eltham College and the South East Executive), over six years (2007-13)
Visit the website for Eltham College: http://www.eltham-college.org.uk